One of the world’s first automotive manufacturers, Delahaye Automobile was founded in Tours in 1894 by Emile Delahaye, and was initially involved in production of belt-driven cars with either single or two cylinder engines mounted to the rear.
Although Delahaye himself died in 1905, the company prospered and went on to produce some of the most striking and stylish cars of the pre-war era. Frequently lavishly bodied by such great names as Figoni et Falaschi, Saoutchik and Chapron, they were inextricably linked with the Art Deco era, and are often viewed as much in artistic terms as automotive.
This 4-seater classic 1923 Delahaye Open Tourer is presented in impeccable condition throughout.
It was located in the South of France in 1989 by the previous owner and has been completely restored at considerable expense, with the support and technical advice of the Delahaye Club being sought throughout the process.
The car was completely disassembled, including all mechanical, engine, gearbox and body parts, and a ground up restoration was embarked upon by marque specialists in France. Maintaining the car’s originality was of primary importance, albeit with the emphasis on a high level of finish which can been seen in its impressive appearance today.
Having taken part successfully in many international rallies, this very rare vintage car is certainly comparable to a Benz motor car from the same era, and has just passed its new german TÜV without any problems. It warrants close inspection and is surely not to be missed by enthusiasts or collectors of this true great marque. A more detailed description in German is available in the cars file, amongst other documentation.