The Morris Minor was debuted at the Earls Court Motor Show in London on 20 September 1948. Designed by Alec Issigonis, more than 1.3 million were manufactured between 1948 and 1971. In 1952, the Morris Minor was updated with an Austin-designed 803cc overhead valve, A-Series engine, replacing the original side-valve power plant. The engine had been designed for the Minor’s main competition, the Austin A30, but became available when Austin and Morris were merged into the British Motor Corporation. The new engine felt stronger, although all measurements were smaller than before. The 0 to 60mph in 52 seconds was still calm, with an overall top speed of 63 mph, and the fuel consumption increased to 36 miles per gallon. Cosmetically the front wings and grill were replaced, and the head lights moved from the grill to the front wings. In 1952, in addition to the two and four door saloon and the four seat convertible, an estate version was introduced, known as the Traveller (a Morris naming tradition for estates, also seen on the Mini), along with the van and pick-up versions.
With 42,000 miles recorded, this early and very original ‘Split Screen’ Morris Minor has been part of the current owner’s collection of British classics for a number of years, during which time it has been stored carefully and used sparingly. An easy to maintain classic car to take to festivals, rallies or just to use on summer evenings.
Offered at No Reserve on 18th May 2019 at Chiswick House.