MV Agusta’s factory race team had been developing four-strokes for some years and in 1952 achieved its first major international success when Cecil Sandford secured the 125cc World Championship – MV’s first. For the following season, MV made available a single-cam, ‘customer’ version of Sandford’s works dohc racer, the Sport Competizione, which rapidly became the mount of choice among privateers contesting the quarter-litre class. In 1955 a second over-the-counter racer was added to the range: the 175 CSS.
One of only 50 examples built, this beautiful motorcycle was restored by an MV Augusta engineer in Italy in the 1990s, and has since been kept in excellent condition in all respects. Interestingly it is fitted with Borrani aluminium rims.