Based in Vicenza in north east Italy, Cecatto manufactured small capacity two- and four-stroke motorcycles from 1947 to 1962. In 1949 Pietro Ceccato received drawings of a 75cc twin-cam single from Fabio Taglioni who had designed and produced the engine with the help of his Bologna University students while also studying for his doctorate. Cecatto – a man described as the most determined entrepreneur – liked what he saw and subsequently acquired Taglioni’s project, and the two worked together for a year or so, also producing a lighter SOHC version. As is well known, the late, great Taglioni later worked for Mondial and then Ducati where he pioneered that firm’s now legendary desmodromic singles and v-twins.
The small Taglioni-designed Cecatto singles were successful in competition during the mid 1950s, gaining a number of speed records as well as class victories in prestigious events such as the Milano-Taranto race and the Moto Giro Italia.
As a buoyant company employing about 600 staff manufacturing bicycles, compressors, gas cylinders and service station equipment, Ceccato set about further developing Taglioni’s design by adopting gear-drive to the overhead cams. It’s believed that five of these 75cc Cecatto motors were produced, while just three 100cc gear-drive Bialbero (DOHC) machines were built.
The 100c Bialbero on sale here is one of those three. It is in excellent restored condition, its engine is a beautiful work of art, and the motorcycle’s authenticity is certified by a brass FIM plate fixed to the frame. Representing the finest in Italian artisanship, this Cecatto has strong links to one of the greatest engineers in motorcycling, and as such it is an extremely rare jewel not to be missed.