Stylistically evocative of the mighty 300SL, but with a slightly less complex drive train, the 190SL remains among the most desirable roadsters of its era. The prototype was first shown at the 1954 New York Auto Show, with the 190SL produced between May 1955 and February 1963.
The 190SL was sold alongside the 300SL, similar not just in terms of styling, engineering and detailing, but also sharing fully independent suspension, double wishbone suspension at the front and swing axles at the rear.
The 190SL was powered by a new, slightly over square 1.9 litre straight-four SOHC engine that developed 120hp with twin-choke dual Solex carburettors, the four-cylinder engine block was based on the six-cylinder engine of the 300 SL. Teamed with a four-speed manual gearbox, sleek aerodynamics and comparatively light weight allowed for a top speed of 115mph and a respectable 0-60 time of 13.0 seconds.
Offered from the estate of a significant private collector of many cars, motorcycles and military vehicles, this outstanding example has enjoyed a hugely comprehensive restoration and is ready to be enjoyed by its lucky next owner. Beautifully finished in cream with a newly retrimmed wine red leather interior, this is one of the nicest examples we have seen for a long time.