Stylistically evocative of the mighty 300SL, but with a slightly less complex drive train, the 190SL remains among the most desirable roadsters of its era. The prototype was first shown at the 1954 New York Auto Show, with the 190SL produced between May 1955 and February 1963.
The 190SL was sold alongside the 300SL, similar not just in terms of styling, engineering and detailing, but also sharing fully independent suspension, double wishbone suspension at the front and swing axles at the rear.
The 190 SL was powered by a new, slightly over square 1.9 litre straight-four SOHC engine that developed 120hp with twin-choke dual Solex carburettors, the four-cylinder engine block was based on the six-cylinder engine of the 300 SL. Teamed with a four-speed manual gearbox, sleek aerodynamics and comparatively light weight allowed for a top speed of 115mph and a respectable 0-60 time of 13.0 seconds.
Delivered new on the 27th of February 1959, to the Mero-Benz dealership, London, this rare Right hand drive 190SL is one of an approximate 500 UK examples made from an overall production run of 25,881.
Finished in an eye catching Emerald green with contrasting green interior, this wonderful example has recently undergone a bare metal respray to an excellent standard. Also during its current ownership, this car has undergone a mechanical overhaul and overall renovation by marque specialists including Steve Redfern, Redcastle and Thredder engineering. Some of the work undertaken includes a complete suspension and brakes overhaul, engine rebuild, all-new wiring loom fitment, bright work re-chroming, completely new trimming including hood & hood bag, new radiator, petrol tank and exhaust.
Included in the sale are the cars original Solex carburettors that the owner has taken the time to retain after converting it to Webbers in order to increase usability whilst retaining its originality. As a further testament to the attention to detail that this owner has gone into, the car has been fitted with a full set of new tyres and rubbers.
The car represents the style of true Mercedes Benz Sports Car motoring in the 1950’s and offers as much pleasure to drive today as it was when manufactured in 1959