An unusual departure for a firm more noted for its stately limousines, the SP250 sports car was Daimler’s final fling before its acquisition by Jaguar. Aimed at the North American market and launched in 1959, the SP250 employed a separate ladder-type chassis on which sat controversially styled fibreglass coachwork manufactured by Daimler themselves. Four-wheel disc brakes were an unusual feature at the time but unquestionably the car’s biggest virtue was its magnificent 2.5-litre V8 engine. An outstandingly flexible unit, the smaller of Daimler’s two Edward Turner designed V8s produced 140bhp, an output good enough to propel the SP250 to a top speed of 125mph. In keeping with the demands of its intended market, automatic transmission was available as an option. The model survived Jaguar’s 1960 take-over, benefiting from its new owner’s attention that resulted in the much-improved ‘B’ version. Introduced in April 1961, the SP250 ‘B’ boasted a stiffer chassis and thicker fibreglass coachwork.
The SP250 listed here was first registered on 8th June 1960. Finished in signal red and supplied with contrasting black/red wet weather gear (hard and soft tops). The interior is wonderfully original with a patina that is only apparent and available through 57 years of careful and meticulous ownership. The history and paperwork supplied with this car is exemplary and too large to list here in full. There are almost three decades worth of old MOT certificates with matching tax discs dating back to 1977. There are also folders of old invoices, photos, service packs, brochures and manuals; as well as a current MOT and UK V5C registration. A truly wonderful example of this increasingly rare British sports car.