ESTIMATE £220,000- £250,000

Auction Coys Olympia February 2017

Lot Details

Lot Number 331
Reg. Number UK Registered
Chassis Number BC71CZ
Year 1962
Make Bentley
Model S2 Continental

+44 208 614 7888

Call Coys Auction Dept for more info
or use the enquiry form below.

Search

Enter the make/model/year you are interested in:

Description

The advent of the Bentley Continental with modern styling made the contemporary R-Type look distinctly dated. Something beyond a facelift was required. The resulting S-Type was launched in 1955 to much acclaim, the standard Park Ward body being much greater in size and grandeur compared to the preceding car. There were three phases of this model resulting in the final S3 series and a number of mechanical changes were introduced over this period.

    

The S2 Continental was developed from the S1 on the same chassis, using the aluminium 61/4 litre V8 engine in place of the old 6 cylinder 4,887cc unit which had been phased out in 1959. Automatic transmission, power steering and servo brakes combined to make a superb grand touring car. As the launch of the all new Bentley S2 Continental chassis and engine drew closer the design team at H.J. Mulliner also looked to the future and began to make some small amendments to their S1 Continentals Fastback design by re-positioning of the front spot lights on to the top of the wing line.

They also listened to their customers’ requests for a new two door design which allowed greater luggage capacity in the boot. The result was design number 7500, built in very limited numbers which was fitted with a wraparound rear screen and fins on the front and rear wings. Design number 7500 was arguably improved further for the S2 Continental chassis with the removal of the fins to allow a more graceful line. The result was design number 7514, considered by many including ourselves to be the most attractive of all coachwork designs fitted to the S2 Continental chassis between 1959 and 1962

    .

Chassis No BC71CZ is one of just 71 examples built to design number 7514 in right hand drive by H.J. Mulliner. The coachwork was constructed entirely of aluminium at their West London works, completed to order for each individual customer in the bespoke fashion that Bentley Continental owners had become accustomed to. BC71CZ was completed in February of 1962 and supplied by the Rolls-Royce agent in Geneva Garage L’Athenee to its first owner Mr Otto Streicher of Zurich.

According to the chassis records, it was ordered in a colour only described as Special Blue, with a green leather interior. The car is now presented in Pewter but retains its original green leather interior.  Although early records beyond the car’s first few years are sparse, we understand that the car returned to England during the late 1960s where it remained until 1999. It was bought by a British collector on 1989 and then supplied by Frank Dale & Stepsons ten years later to a collector in Europe.


7_276_01

Enquire

Your name

Email

Telephone

Message

Join the COYS Connoisseur Club and receive monthly COYS newsletters, regular updates & exclusive member benefits.