After World War II, Alfa Romeo were able to return to manufacturing Italian automobiles, however a new model was not launched until 1950. The new design being the 1900, a twin overhead cam 1859cc 4-cylinder saloon. However, it was the second model produced that proved significant, the Guilietta of 1954, a 2+2 by Bertone. The vehicle was powered by a light alloy 1290cc DOHC four cylinder. Named “sprint” it was fittingly capable of high speeds for its engine size reaching 102mph. Design by Orazio Satta Puliga, an engineer who had joined Alfa in 1938 and succeeded Wilfredo Ricart as head of design in 1946.
The Berlina model hit the production line in 1955, and soon afterwards a Spider convertible by Pininfarina was available. In 1957, two limited-production models were added, the Sprint Speciale by Bertone, and the Sprint Zagato by that Milanese coachbuilder.
In 1962 alfa Romeo introduced the Giulietta’s successor, the Guilia a Sprint GT coupe version which followed in 1963, with engines available in many different specifications. The suspension had been tweaked and disc brakes were added all around.
Just 1,000 GTCs were built from 1964 to 1966, most of them left-hand drive models. This particular example presented in white with a grey interior is a rare right hand drive example of which just 99 where ever built for the market.
Having been sold out of a deceased estate, in recent years the car has undergone a comprehensive restoration and is now found in a wonderful condition that is most difficult to fault. Invoices totalling around £50,000 depict the restoration in great detail and can be found in the cars history file.
Cosmetic works include a bare metal respray, new inner and outer seals, complete set of floors, both front wings, nearside rear quarter wing, and rear panel. All of the cars brightwork has been either re-chromed or replaced, new tyres have been fitted and the interior has been completely re-trimmed from the carpets right through to the leather upholstery and roof.
All of the cars mechanical work has been completed by marque specialists such as Stanton Motors and includes; new complete wiring loom, new exhaust system, cleaned and inspected gearbox, overhauled rear axle, suspension and steering. All fuel lines have been replaced as have the brake master cylinder, servo, rear callipers and all brake lines. And most importantly the engine has been rebuilt by Stanton Motors and was followed up by a dyno compression test. Results also included in the history file.
This is a matching engine example of one of the rarest specification Alfa-Romeo’s one can find. Having undergone a no-expense spared restoration, this car is not to be missed.
Supplied with period buff logbook, fresh MOT as well as original books.