The Jensen Interceptors were hand-built at the Kelvin Way Factory, West Bromwich near Birmingham between 1966 and 1976. The Interceptor name had been used previously by Jensen for the Jensen Interceptor made between 1950 and 1957 at the Carters Green factory. Jensen had extensively used glass-reinforced plasticfor the fabrication of body panels in the preceding two decades, but the new Interceptor saw a return to a steel body-shell. The body was designed by an outside firm, Carrozzeria Touring of Italy, rather than the in-house staff. The early bodies were built in Italy by Vignale, before Jensen took production in house, making some subtle body modifications. The Mark III, introduced in 1971, revised the front grille, headlamp finishers and bumper treatment again. It had GKN alloy wheels and air conditioning as standard and revised seats. It was divided into G-, H-, and J-series depending on the production year. The Interceptor may have taken some styling cues from the Brasinca Uirapuru, with a distinctive large, curving wrap-around rear window that doubled as a tailgate. The original specification included electric windows, reclining front seats, a wood rimmed steering wheel, radio with twin speakers, reversing lights and an electric clock. Power steering was included as standard from September 1968.
This example only had one owner from new until 2014 when it was purchased by the present vendor. Ordered originally in late 1971, this car left the factory on 28th January 1972. The car was delivered in Royal Blue, with matching navy blue interior and with various options including air conditioning, Sundym Glass, town and country horns and a Learjet 8 track sound system. The then owner used the car all over the world as his company car, not just for trips around Europe but taking it to Australia ensuring it didn’t suffer from continued exposure to harsh British winters. Early maintenance was carried out by the factory and the current mileage is showing 87,151. This is one of the more desirable models being the Series III 6.3 litre of which only 332 right hand examples were made. These are rare and highly collectable British classic cars and this example is not to be missed.