The Corgi was a civilian version of the Welbike collapsible runabout made for paratrooper use during World War II, and appeared in 1945. The overall designer was Lt-Col J.R.V. Dolphin, with the Spryt engine designed by the Excelsior company and produced under licence by Brockhouse.
The ‘monkey bike’ of its day, the Corgi carried its horizontal engine in a low-slung tubular frame on top of which sat the fuel tank. The saddle was mounted bicycle-fashion on a tubular seat post and the handlebars could be folded down flat. The wheels carried 12.5”-diameter tyres and there was no kick-starter on early models. A kick-starter and dog clutch were soon introduced on the Mark II and then in 1949 a two-speed gearbox and telescopic forks became available as options. The two-speed Mark IV model lasted until 1954.
Offered at ‘No reserve’ as a restoration project, carrying the registration number UMF 453, there are no documents with this lot.