Excelsior motorcycles were produced by the Excelsior Motor Manufacturing Company of Chicago, Illinois from 1907 until 1931, latterly under the ‘Super-X’ brand name. The first Excelsior was a belt-driven single cylinder machine, the engine of which formed part of the frame.
1911 was a landmark year in Excelsior’s history, for the firm was acquired by bicycle maker Ignaz Schwinn and introduced its first v-twin model that year. In 1913 the 61-cubic inch (1,000cc) v-twin was offered with all-chain drive, while a two-speed planetary transmission and a leaf-sprung, Indian-style front fork were two further innovations introduced for the following season. Alongside rivals Harley-Davidson and Indian, Excelsior offered a three-speed countershaft transmission for 1915, at the same time introducing a new frame with a curved top tube and a smoothly rounded tank, a first for Excelsior. Deeply valanced mudguards distinguished the v-twin of 1917.
This fine machine has been in Italy for many years, it has original registration documentation and it was restored to a very high standard not long ago by a Mr Luigi De Boni.
|Auction||The Carole Nash MCN London Motorcycle Show February 2016|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||EU Registered|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.