The origins of the Royal Enfield marque can be traced back to a small light engineering firm, George Townsend & Company, founded in Redditch, Worcestershire, in mid Victorian times. The firm moved into bicycle manufacture and by the turn of the Century had been re-organised as the Enfield Cycle Company, makers of the ‘Royal Enfield’.
By 1904 the firm was concentrating on car production, resuming motorcycle manufacture in 1910 with a V-twin Motosacoche-powered lightweight. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s the firm manufactured a range of bewildering and fast changing variety, at the pinnacle of which was the Model K, a large capacity V-twin intended primarily for sidecar use. JAP powered V-twins had also been a feature of the range since 1912.
At the time sidecars were all the rage and the more powerful V-twins featured mostly as power units to pull motorcycle combinations.
Registered as FC 2952 on the 5th Jan 1921 this Enfield features a JAP V twin engine of 976cc, a buff logbook that accompanies the bike states it was registered in the Gloucestershire area before coming to Kent as part of the Hitchcock collection. An incomplete project it is still the basis of a rewarding and valuable Enfield motorcycle powered by the famous J A Prestwick Ltd V twin engine. Also supplied with a UK V5C logbook.