Packard introduced their magnificent straight-eight engine in their beautifully restyled 1924 top-line models. In doing so, they effectively set the standard for American prestige automobiles for the rest of the 1920s. The new car was called the Single Eight—the designation alluding to the fact the new line replaced Packard’s great, but outmoded, original twelve-cylinder Twin Six, produced from 1915 to 1923.
The Packard inline eight was developed under the aegis of Packard’s engineering chief, Col. Jesse G. Vincent. It produced 85 horsepower at 3,000 rpm, from a displacement of 357.8 cubic inches. The crankshaft ran in nine main bearings, contributing greatly to the engine’s smooth, almost vibration free operation. This massive eight was set into a long, low-slung chassis that was equipped with Packard’s first four-wheel brake system.
Packard offered the Single Eight in two series, their respective numerical designations reflecting the wheelbase lengths. Most styles were Series 136 models, while the longer Series 143 consisted of three seven-passenger models. The only Series 143 open style was the 7-Passenger Touring Car (or Phaeton). An example of this model, Packard’s largest and most expensive open car for 1924 is offered here.
This fantastic example was imported from America to Germany via Switzerland in the late 70s. Now in beautiful condition throughout, this rare car is finished in black over green with cream and green leather interior. Having been subject to an older restoration, this beautiful car is very honest and comes with a beautiful display of light patina. Options fitted to the car include electrical cooling fan, rear reflectors, searchlights mounted on stainless steel lamp-bar, windshield wiper and detachable storage box.
Naturally offered with German papers, this pre-war tourer is said to drive well and is ready to be enjoyed by its new custodian.