From the Hitchcock’s Motorcycle Collection
Phelon and Moore was established in 1904 in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire and from the outset produced machines with a sloped cylinder that replaced the front frame down-tube, using the engine as a ‘stressed member’. Designed by Joah ‘John’ Phelon and his nephew Harry Rayner they also produced the World’s first chain driven motorcycle. Sadly Harry Rayner died in a car accident after which many of their designs were sold the Humber Motorcycle company to raise cash for future motorcycle projects, Phelon then went into partnership with Richard Moore.
During the First World War the company supplied a large number of machines to the services, particularly the Royal Flying Corp and usually with a sidecar attached, a role that was to become synonymous with the marque. During the 1920’s the company introduced a model named the Panther, a title that was quickly adopted as a brand-name for all their products.
The most intriguing design was the 1928 P & M Panther Panthette, a 250cc over head valve transverse V-twin. Launched at the Olympia Motor Show in October 1926, this unusual bike stole the attention from every other machine on offer. The Panthette bristled with innovations. The transverse V-twin had horizontally split cranckcases, valve spring arrangement utilising laminated springs, enclosed alloy rocker box and a car type 4-speed transmission with a multi-plate clutch.
An extremely exotic motorcycle of the day and super rare there were only seven examples known to have survived before this bike was rediscovered recently in the Hitchcock collection. Supplied with a UK V5C logbook this is great opportunity to acquire and restore a very rare motorcycle.
|Auction||MCN London Motorcycle Show February 2017|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||PH 8620|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.