Motosacoche was founded in 1899 in Geneva. The company was once the biggest Swiss motorcycle manufacturer, known also for its MAG (Motosacoche Acacias Genève) proprietary-engines used by other European motorcycle manufacturers. The first products were auxiliary bicycle engines that came in a subframe and could be bolted into a conventional bicycle. The firm progressed, and with factories in France and Switzerland and Italy, MAG supplied engines to a number of well-established British and continental motorcycle makers. Motosaccoche also started manufacturing machines in its own name, and when the Bol d’Or 24-hour was first held on the outskirts of Paris in 1922, the winning rider (just the one back then…) covered more than 750 miles on a 500cc Motosacoche. In 1928, Motosaccoche rider Wal Handley won the 350cc and 500cc European Championship titles.
The overhead valve 500cc Type 409 was produced for two years in 1928 and 1929. Despite this machine’s original condition and delightful patina, we are informed the engine starts upon first kick.