The 2300’s newly developed six-cylinder 2,309cc engine featured an integrally cast crankcase and cylinder block topped by an aluminium-alloy cylinder head. Two basic specifications were available, the Turismo model with a long wheelbase chassis and the Gran Turimso models with a shortened wheelbase. In 1934 the 6C 2300 made an auspicious competition debut in the inaugural ‘Giro d’Italia – Coppa d’Oro del Littorio’, a race held in three stages over a total of some 5,687 km. Four cars with open coachwork by Brianza were entrusted to the Scuderia Ferrari, which collaborated closely with Alfa Romeo in the competition department. The engines were equipped with a new inlet manifold and two 35 mm Solex carburettors, two 3-in-1 exhaust manifolds, a longer differential ratio, Bosch electrics with a second battery, enlarged petrol tank, two petrol pumps and the addition of a rev counter. Thus equipped, the engines produced more than 100 hp. Alfa Romeo did meet some bad luck in the course of the race as the leading car driven by Marinoni had an accident in the second stage. However, the other three cars had more success, with the Rosa-Comotti car finishing second, and the other cars finishing fourth and fifth overall.
The definitive success of the model however came at the ‘Targa Abruzzo – 24 Ore di Pescara’ on 12th and 13th August 1934 where three Berlinette with coachwork by Touring finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd with the Cortese-Severi car winning against stiff competition from the Lancia Astura driven by Pintacuda-Brivio, who had won the previous Giro d’Italia, and the two Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 of Tazio Nuvolari and Guy Moll.
On the back of this success, Alfa Romeo decided to build a small series of 60 Gran Turismo cars with the mechanical specifications of the racing Berlinetta with various coachwork, ranging from saloons to open spiders. These cars were called Pescara to record these triumphant race results. They were the predecessor of the new 6C 2300 B Mille Miglia models with Touring bodies which debuted at the 1937 Mille Miglia.
This wonderful Alfa Romeo 6C was first registered in 1934, later being rebodied in the Pescara style by John Lawson of Australia in 1953. Lawson clearly loved the Alfa, keeping the car for 36 years in all. The Alfa enjoyed a restoration in 1970, during which time the current engine and gearbox were fitted to the car. Currently registered to Germany, the Alfa-Romeo has participated in many prestigious rallies across Europe, and is ready to be enjoyed once more, having had a rebuild of the gearbox to ensure it performs well.
A rare opportunity to buy this Alfa-Romeo 6 C at a fraction of the price of an original Grand Sport, and as such not to be missed.