In the 1930s, Rolls-Royce set new standards with its Phantom series. It was achieved not by making great technical breakthroughs, but by using the very best of proven technology. One could argue that various Hispano Suizas had more advanced specifications, but one has to note that many of them are now fitted with Rolls-Royce gearboxes. There were no weaknesses in the cars which Rolls-Royce made which is why, when the company began to use the slogan, ‘The Best Car in the World’ it was regarded as measured opinion backed by solid collateral.
The Phantom II, introduced in 1929, was said to have been the last model that Royce designed himself, working from his villa in the South of France. Between 1929 and 1935 around 1,770 of these chassis were built, being available in 144″ and 150″ wheelbase lengths, the former being used for the Continental models. These chassis were very popular with the major coachbuilders of the day, and some truly glorious cars were made.
The wonderful Phantom II offered here was bodied as a limousine by Hooper & Co., the famed London coachbuilders favoured by the Royal Family. Delivered new to its first owner, J. Cooper-Dean of Christchurch in February 1934, the car passed through two more owners until 1965 when it was exported to California. The car returned to the U.K. in 1998 and was bought by the current vendor in 2015 to add to a collection of pre-war Rolls-Royce’s.
Described by the vendor to be in a very good condition throughout this car has been maintained to a high standard with recent work amounting to a little over £11,000 in his care. This included rewiring the lighting system and wipers, as well as rechroming the headlights. We are told that the engine was comprehensively overhauled and runs very well and at a reassuringly cool temperature even in traffic. Finished in black over cream with black leather interior, this striking Rolls-Royce is stunningly elegant with classic lines and comes with a full history file and V5C registration.