Founded in 1905 by bicycle manufacturer George Singer, the firm made its first saleable car in Coventry the following year. By 1928 Singer had grown to become Britain’s third largest car maker after Austin and Morris. Singer entered into a flirtation with motorsports in the 1930s that took it to that font of racing greatness, Le Mans. At the core of the story was the ohc four created for the Singer. Enlargement of this engine’s displacement resulted in the 972cc Nine series (so named for its taxable horsepower rating). Among the cars in the series were the Sports models, a coupe and a four-seat open car on a lowered chassis. These were soon accompanied by a Le Mans 2-seater. According to The Beaulieu Encyclopaedia of the Automobile, “Encouraged by reliable performances in the 1934 Le Mans race, Singer prepared a team of lightweight 2-seaters for 1935.” These cars could hit 90 mph, and did well at Le Mans and Brooklands.
Twin SU carburettors helped the Le Mans make 34 bhp, with the help of a Moss four-speed gearbox, a Le Mans could hit 75 mph with the suspension comprising of semi elliptical springs all around and friction shocks.
Manufactured on the 12th July 1934, this delightful Singer is finished in blue with a complimenting blue hide interior and is described by the vendor as being in excellent all round condition having undergone a restoration in 1999/2000. The ownership history dates back to 1976 where it was in the ownership of Bob Francis of South Wirral in Merseyside. A year later the car changed hands and into the ownership of Norman Dunn who kept the car under his tenure for a further 20 years. Subsequently the car passed to Frank Wiseman who kept the car from 1997 until 2010 and finally the current owner purchased the car in 2013. Supplied with a V5 document and a file of various invoices and technical specifications this delightful prewar sports car is a fine sports tourer for the discerning collector.