Packard was an American luxury automobile marque built by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, and later by the Studebaker-Packard Corporation of South Bend, Indiana. The first Packard automobiles were produced in 1899 and the last in 1958. Packard was still the premier luxury automobile, even though the majority of cars being built were the 120 and Super Eight model ranges. Hoping to catch still more of the market, Packard decided to issue the Packard 115C in 1937, which was powered by Packard’s first six-cylinder engine since the Fifth Series cars in 1928. While the move to introduce the Six, priced at around $1200, was brilliant, for the car arrived just in time for the 1938 recession, it also tagged Packards as something less exclusive than they had been in the public’s mind, and in the long run hurt Packard’s reputation of building some of America’s finest luxury cars. The Six, redesignated 110 in 1940–41, continued for three years after the war, with many serving as taxicabs.
In 1939, Packard introduced Econo-Drive, a kind of overdrive, claimed able to reduce engine speed; it could be engaged at any speed over 30 mph (48 km/h). The same year, the company introduced a fifth, transverse shock absorber and made column shift (known as Handishift) available on the 120 and Six.
The fabulous example in light green has the benefit of having had only one owner since 1991. The coachwork is in superb condition retaining its original interior trim in Bedford cord with all wood cappings in Burr Walnut. The engine and braking system have been totally rebuilt and it is fitted with an original Packard heater and radio.
These were the first Packard Models to have independant front suspension and hydraulic brakes also with a fully synchromesh transmission. Fitted with 5 Seater 1506 touring sedan coachwork with no division, this example is the ultimate Packard touring car with 7.75 litre V12 engine. A magnificent touring sedan in wonderful condition.