Inventor David Dunbar Buick built his first automobile in Detroit, Michigan in 1903. More designer than businessman, Buick’s lack of talent in the latter role led to his business changing hands many times before its founder was eventually eased out in 1908, his departure from the Buick Motor Company coinciding with its establishment as the cornerstone of new owner William C Durant’s General Motors. Under Durant’s stewardship production rose dramatically from 750 cars in 1905 to 8,802 in 1908 when Buick’s most popular product was the four-cylinder Model 10, a direct competitor for Ford’s Model T. The company introduced its first six-cylinder car in 1914 and for a period in the 1920s the range would consist entirely of sixes. Then, at the end of 1930, Buick dramatically axed its six-cylinder models, adopting an all eight-cylinder range for 1931. By the decade’s end Buick had become one of America’s most popular cars. Stylistically and mechanically, the Buick range was comprehensively revised for 1936, featuring ‘turret top’ styling and improved independent front suspension, and these revitalised straight-eights would carry Buick through to WW2 and beyond.
Dating from 1938, when all Buicks adopted coil sprung rear suspension, this right-hand drive Special Series 40 was produced in Buick’s factory at Oshawa, Canada and imported into the UK by Lendrum & Hartman Ltd, of London. The car carries five-seat ‘Albemarle’ drophead coupé coachwork by Carlton Carriage Company Ltd, of Willesden, London NW10, who are ‘best known for their drophead coupes which are archetypal designs of the British Jazz Era’. The vehicle is being sold from long term single family ownership, having been stored for the best part of 20 years as part of a small collection, and offers the new owner the opportunity to enter into the stylish period of American style.
This Lot will be offered at No Reserve to the highest bidder on the day.