In the 1930’s BMW were producing a number of popular and highly effective motorcycles. In 1938 development of the R75 started in response to a request from the military. Preproduction models of the R75 were powered by a 750cc side valve engine, which was based on the R71 engine. However it was quickly found necessary to design an all-new OHV 750cc engine for the R75 unit. This OHV engine later proved to be the basis for subsequent post-war twin BMW engines like the R51/3, R67 and R68.
The BMW R75 and its rival the Zündapp KS 750 were both widely used by the military in Russia and North Africa, though after a period of evaluation it became clear that the Zündapp was the superior machine. In August 1942 Zündapp and BMW, on the urging of the Army, agreed upon standardization of parts for both machines, with a view of eventually creating a Zündapp-BMW hybrid (designated the BW 43), in which a BMW 286/1 side-car would be grafted onto a Zündapp KS 750 motorcycle. They also agreed that the manufacture of the R75 would cease once production reached 20,200 units, and after that point BMW and Zündapp would only produce the Zündapp-BMW machine, manufacturing 20,000 each year.
This R75 with sidecar combination has been restored to a high standard and is ready to grace any serious collection. The motorcycle is in fantastic condition throughout and we feel should prove to be a sound investment for any potential buyer.
Offered at No Reserve on 18th May 2019 at Chiswick House.