The company, initially known as Josef und Franz Werndl and Company was founded in 1864 as a rifle manufacturer. It grew rapidly during the First World War, by the end of which it employed 14,000 people. The company began producing bicycles in 1894, and Steyr automobiles after 1918. In September 1917 Steyr recruited Hans Ledwinka, now remembered as one of the great automobile engineers of the twentieth century, but then relatively unknown, to the position of “Chefkonstrukteur”, to lead the creation of their automobile manufacturing business.
The particularly rare surviving example we have on sale here was manufactured during the war and Is supplied with deactivated Grenades.
Offered at No Reserve on 18th May 2019 at Chiswick House.