Initially Zündapp considered modifying their KS 600 model in order to meet the OKH demands, but it was soon clear that the KS 600 was not suitable for further development: the frame, engine, transmission, front fork and many other parts would have to be either reinforced or receive substantial modifications to meet the new criteria. Eventually Zündapp came to the conclusion that what they needed was a new, purpose-built motorcycle and sidecar. By 1939 they had developed two prototypes, which the OKH used for test drives. In both bikes the cubic capacity was increased to 700cc and the cylinders were lifted on each side by 5° to increase ground clearance. Subsequently the cubic capacity was further increased to 751cc.
The call for the new motorcycle was also responded by BMW, which produced their prototype of the BMW R75. After long test drives both with the BMW and Zündapp prototypes the OKH was convinced that the Zündapp KS 750 was far superior to the BMW R75. Initially BMW was asked to build the Zündapp KS 750, but BMW refused. However, the OKH asked BMW to adopt the superior characteristics of the Zündapp KS 750, such as the rear wheel drive solution, the hydraulic brake system and wheels. BMW and Zündapp also agreed, as demanded by the OKH, to standardize as many components as possible in order to streamline production and delivery of spare parts, which would then be usable and interchangeable on both models.
The series production started in the spring of 1941, and in eight years Zündapp produced 18,695 KS 750 in their Nuremberg factory. Military production of the Zündapp KS 750 stopped in early 1945.
Not many KS750’s survived the war, however this particular article has been carefully looked after as part of the collection and even comes with period grenades.
Offered at No Reserve on 18th May 2019 at Chiswick House.