The Allard Motor Company had been formed in 1945 by charismatic designer, racing driver, hillclimber and inveterate “special builder”, Sydney Allard. From his very early days, Allard had been a keen supporter of the high power-to-weight ratio, and his cars typically featured large capacity American V8 engines housed in relatively lightweight fabricated chassis and bodies.
The K1 was Allard’s first post-war car, and was largely carried over from the pre-war J1. Based around the Ford “L-Head” V8 and associated running gear, the frame was made up from stamped-steel channel sections by Thomson’s of Wolverton especially for Allard. Side rails and cross members were designed to fit the Ford suspension.
This example was registered in England on 21.08.1947 and after a succession of owners was exported to Switzerland in 2004. The car then was completely dismantled and restored from the ground up in 2005 and 2006. A full photographic record of this restoration is available for inspection.
Since 2006 this powerful historic motor car has been residing in the Swiss Pantheon
Automobil Museum in Basel. In 2011 # 161 was registered in Switzerland with appropriate papers. The car is equipped with the correct V8 engine, propelling it with ease to a top speed in excess of 150 km/h.
A superb example of an historic Allard, and of a model seldom seen on the open market. NOTE : If the car remains within the EU, tax will have to be paid at the reduced rate on its purchase price.