The M Type was one of Sidney Allard’s most successful models in the post-war era, with around 500 produced over a five year period; the most popular version was the foursome drophead coupe, handsome and restrained but endowed by its 3.6 Litre V8 engine with a more than respectable turn of speed together with very tidy handling. The splendid example we are offering today was built in 1950, and features ‘spats’, the rear wheel covers typical of the time. It was supplied to a doctor in Northern Ireland, for at the time cars were only available to motorists who could demonstrate a real need and thus gain the necessary points to be able to place an order, and he kept the car for five years, during which time it saw daily use together with being entered for some sporting events.
The car subsequently came back to England, and spent the following two decades in the hands of several enthusiastic owners, until one of their number, during the 1970s undertook a very considerable degree of restoration work, for much of which the bills are in the car’s impressively thick history folder. Subsequently the car went on many touring expeditions, including one to LeMans to celebrate the Anniversary of the Allard company’s victory in the 19xx LeMans 24 Hour race.
Coachwork is finished in a very handsome shade of Royal Blue, which suits the car’s lines admirably and matches very pleasingly with the blue leather of the interior, and the car’s matching convertible top remains in very fine order too. As we have commented, the history file will give a good idea of the care and interest lavished on this very pleasing car, including, charmingly, an internal invoice from the Allard company, probably when the car passed from the manufacturing to the sales departments. Certainly this splendid example offers remarkable value for money, when compared with other, possible more mundane models of the era.