A landmark model for the Stuttgart-based manufacturer, the four-cylinder, 1.7-litre 170 V was introduced in 1936 and formed the mainstay of Mercedes-Benz production in the immediate post-war years. In May 1949 an improved version – the 170 S – was introduced, which came with a 1,767cc engine equipped with an aluminium-alloy cylinder head and producing 52bhp, a 37% improvement over the 170 V. The suspension too had undergone considerable development, a thoroughly modern double wishbone/coil spring design being adopted at the front, while at the rear the track was widened and telescopic shock absorbers fitted. Production of the 170 S continued until 1955.
From the cars documentation Daimler Benz commissioned the car and delivered it new in 1949 to the Fa. Herman Holter near Dusseldorf, according to factory built records. Generalleutnant Herman Holter fought in both World War I and World War II and was captured in Norway in May 1945, and was released from US custody in December 1947. An outstanding General Staff officer in the eyes of his superiors he was awarded the East Medal for the Winter Campaign in Russia , a 1st Class Long Service Award , Knights Cross, Iron Cross and the Lapland Shield.
Photographs within the cars history file reflect the above, and it is suggested that the car was in Military Service at this time. Holter Published the Book Armee in der Artkis, an account of German Campaigns in Northern Finland and Norway , it was printed in 1953.
First registered in the UK in June 1958, the original buff Log book supplied confirms its importation from Germany where it became the Property of the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works. It remained in their custody until it was sold from the Ministry to Mr Stickland in 1967. Paperwork available in the cars file confirms that Stickland worked from the Ministry in 1958, and we presume the car remained with him when he chose to retire.
By 1975 the car had been shipped to the Channel Islands, but the vehicle was later returned to UK mainland where it remained off the road but was in listed as part of a collection used for film shoots. A Restoration progressed from 2009 by a Mr Carr who restored the car finishing it in the red and cream colour scheme as it presents itself today.
A car with what would appear a most interesting history has seen very little use since its restoration and now presents in excellent overall condition.
|Auction||Coys at Chiswick House|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||UK Registered|
|Model||170V Cabriolet Saloon|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.