In the first three years of the newly established road racing World Championships it was AJS, Benelli, Gilera, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, Norton and Velocette riders who shared all the titles between them in the larger classes. But in the 125cc class, Italian Mondials reigned supreme.
Fratelli Boselli of Ancaro was established between the wars by Count Guiseppe Boselli and his three brothers. The firm produced tricars up until 1939, but although bombing destroyed their premises during the war, they quickly rose from the ashes. With an advanced 11bhp 125 SOHC dry-sump engine designed by Alfonso Druisiani, the new machine soon took shape. Before long this developed into a 123cc DOHC ‘Bialbero’ version and, with the Mondial name now on the tank and Nello Pagani riding, it won first time out at the 1948 Monza Grand Prix.
The following year brought the inaugural GP World Championships. With power now up to13bhp, Mondial absolutely dominated the 125 class with riders Nello Pagani, Bruno Ruffo and Carlo Ubbiali winning back-to-back-to-back championships for Mondial. So dominant, in fact, that the little Bialberos won all of the eleven 125cc GPs from 1949-51, all with the fastest lap.
Mondials also filled nine further GP podium positions while, in the 1951 Isle of Man 125cc TT, Mondials finished first to fourth with the winner recording a 75.4mph fastest lap. And all this against opposition from the likes of MV Agusta, Morini, Montesa and Excelsior.
This exquisite 1st-series example is in the same configuration as Pagani’s 1949 125 world title-winning machine. It’s also one of the six racing bikes that were sold by Mondial when the company was liquidated in 2005. It is in beautiful restored condition and comes with a Certificate of Authenticity from Mondial S.p.A.