By 1930 Ariel’s new single-cylinder range, designed by the great Val Page, had gained a rear-mounted magneto and its distinctive timing cover, and the basic engine design – though frequently revised – would last well into the post-war era. Both overhead-valve and sidevalve versions were made, though there was only one of the latter in Ariel’s post-war line-up: the 600cc VB, a long-stroke workhorse. First introduced for 1936 and intended for sidecar use, the VB was regularly updated along with the rest of the Ariel singles, gaining plunger rear suspension, a telescopic front fork and, finally, a swinging-arm frame as the 1950s progressed. Production ceased in January 1959 when parent company BSA decided to axe Ariel’s four-stroke models.
This is a very nice original condition VB, from a private collection, showing a mere 1732 miles recorded. A great addition to the collection.
|Auction||The Carole Nash MCN London Motorcycle Show|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.