“In a very short time, however, it was easily seen that the pressed steel Bentley bodies were as elegantly proportioned, as highly finished and as comfortably furnished as anything the traditional coachbuilders of the past had done; with the added virtues of immunity from rot and greater rigidity.” Anthony Bird & Ian Hallows, The Rolls-Royce Motor Car, 1964.
The policy of rationalisation begun in the late 1930s continued at Rolls-Royce after the war with the introduction of standard bodywork on the MkVI Bentley. Rolls-Royce’s first post-WW2 product, the MkVI was introduced in 1946, a year ahead of the Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith. Although mechanically similar to the MkVI, the latter was exclusively a coachbuilt car, the first ‘standard steel’ Rolls-Royce, the Silver Dawn not appearing until 1949.
With greatly improved reliability, a Bentley Mk VI made the perfect platform to build into a special recreation – encapsulating the magic of pre-war Bentley Motoring during the golden age. Geoffrey Shrive built thirty-three of these Shrive Specials at Harlington during the late 1960s and 1970s: most went to USA. This car left the workshops and went to Scotland, where it remained until last year when it was discovered in a barn in Carlisle.
The Bentley MkVI special we offer is reportedly one of a small number converted by Geoffrey Shrive in the 1960s, and is one of just 31 cars produced. Recently, the current vendor has spent some £35,000 bringing the car up to very good condition with Horsfeild and Son in Halifax.
Finished in British Racing Green over green leather interior, B155 GT is offered with UK registration and a current MoT.
For further information or to arrange a viewing, please contact our sales department.