The Mercedes-Benz 170 S is a luxury car which was produced by Mercedes-Benz from 1949 until 1955 in various gasoline and diesel powered forms. It was initially offered with a 1.8 litre version of the 1.7 litre four cylinder M136 engine used in the slightly smaller production type 170 V. It was the first Mercedes-Benz to carry in its name the suffix “S” (for Sonder modell (Special model) denoting a superior level of comfort and quality. As such, its intended market was successful business owners and company directors.
The 170 S was released in May 1949, initially sharing the chassis number of the W136 170 V, and closely resembled it. However, in several respects it was more directly a development from the six cylinder Mercedes-Benz 230 which the company had produced, albeit in small numbers, between 1938 and 1943.
This 1950 example is presented very nicely and largely original having undergone only a partial restoration a few years ago. Various photos are available displaying the works conducted which included replacing the floors, fuel tank and tires. Additionally the engine, gearbox, steering and suspension were overhauled and the engine now runs very well with good compression and oil pressure. Importantly the gearbox also works smoothly and hassle free and overall the car is described to be technically and optically very good.
Finished in Bordeaux red with contrasting Cream leather interior, this car presents itself very well and would be a wonderful car to be driven along the French Riviera or an excellent addition to any prestigious classic car collection. The counter work and the instrument panel are in very good condition as is the brightwork found around the car. Importantly the cabriolet roof is of high quality. This wonderful open-topped Mercedes Benz is provided with Portuguese documents.