The policy of rationalisation begun in the late 1930’s continued at Rolls-Royce after the war with the introduction of standard bodywork on the Mk. VI Bentley. Rolls-Royce’s first post-WW2 product, the Mk. VI was introduced in 1946, a year ahead of the Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith. Although mechanically similar to the Mk. VI, the latter was exclusively a coachbuilt car, the first ‘standard steel’ Rolls-Royce, the Silver Dawn not appearing until 1949.
With greatly improved reliability, a Bentley Mk. VI made the perfect platform to build into a special recreation – encapsulating the magic of pre-war Bentley Motoring during the golden age. Most interesting this wonderful Mk VI special was built and developed just six years after the Mk VI finally rolled off the production line in 1958 by no other the R.J.Biddle in Wiltshire. A body was built that took its inspiration from an aeronautical engineer, Eli Cotter. This car is not to be confused with specials that have been built in the last decade, as so many have, this body has remained on the car for almost 60 years.
Presented in dark blue, this striking Bentley has covered a little over 86,000 miles from new but only around 3,000 miles in the last 34 years. The car was bought by the current vendor’s father in 1983 and passed on in 1988. Described to be in excellent condition throughout, this Mk. VI has been fastidiously maintained during its long family ownership with any works carried out with no expense spared. A history file and UK registration are supplied with this wonderful car that is ready to be enjoyed.