Immediately after the war, Germany was precluded from producing motorcycles of any sort by the Allies. When the ban was partially lifted for small capacity machines, BMW put its efforts into the 250cc R24 – a pre-war design. Soon after the ban was fully lifted, the Munich maker introduced the R51/2 in 1952. It was also a pre-war design and it was only produced for one year as it was soon succeeded by the lightly modernized R51/3.
The /2 and /3 both featured flat-twin air-cooled 500cc engines, an exposed final drive shaft, telescopic forks and plunger rear suspension. This R51/2 is offered in restored condition.