One of the most influential designs to emerge from Italy post-WW2, the classic Aurelia was the first car ever to employ a V6 engine. Designed in wartime by Francesco de Virgilio and launched at the 1950 Turin Motor Show, the Aurelia was powered by a 1,754cc 60-degree V6 of all-aluminium construction that used overhead valves operated via short pushrods instead of Lancia’s traditional overhead camshafts. An advanced unitary-construction design, the Aurelia retained Lancia’s ‘sliding pillar’ independent front suspension, first seen on the Lambda, but used a novel semi-trailing-arm layout at the rear, another world first. The transmission too, was unusual, comprising a two-piece prop-shaft and combined gearbox/rear transaxle on which were mounted the inboard brakes, though for once this was not an entirely new departure. The original B10 saloon was joined the following year by the landmark, Pinin Farina-styled B20 Coupe, a fastback ‘2+2’ on a shortened wheelbase which, with its combination of sportscar performance and saloon car practicality, can be said to have introduced the Gran Turismo concept to the world.
This B10 is a superb example, fully rebuilt in the early 90’s, the shell was completely stripped and rebuilt to a very high standard. The car has been comprehensively maintained since with all records and receipts of work carried out. This has included a full engine rebuild by a marque specialist with just 10.000 miles since, a brake overhaul and much more. The car is a delight to drive, quick and comfortable.
|Auction||The London Classic Car Show|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||EU Registered|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.