Pre-war, the Model 170 V was by far the most popular Mercedes model to ever have existed and over 75,000 units were built. Luckily enough for Mercedes, enough of the tools and knowledge survived the war for it would serve as the foundation upon which the company could rebuild. By 1947 the model 170 V had resumed its place as Mercedes’ top-seller, a position it held until 1953.
In addition to the wide range of passenger far bodied 170 Vs, a small commercial variant was offered, either as a flatbed truck or with a box-body on the back. Special versions of the 170 V were offered, adapted for use as ambulances or by the police, mountain rescue services and military.
In May 1950 the 170 V and 170 D received a power upgrade with a larger 1.8 litre version of the M136 engine (which would go on to power the new Mercedes-Benz 180 in 1950). At this stage there was no name change to reflect the increased engine size. At the same time safety was improved with the incorporation of telescopic shock absorbers, a wider rear track, and stronger brakes. Attention in this upgrade was also applied to comfort with the passenger cabin widened by 50 mm (2.0 in) and larger seats. The luggage compartment at the back finally became accessible from outside, using a boot/trunk lid and ventilation was improved. To differentiate them from the existing models, the petrol/gasoline and diesel versions of the upgraded cars were designated internally as the Mercedes-Benz 170 Va and Mercedes-Benz 170 Da.
Produced in 1951, this special example of the rare Kombi design has been subject to recent a body-off restoration, photos of which can be found in the cars extensive history file. In relation to both its mechanics and cosmetics, this car is described to be in excellent condition throughout. The instrument panel and brightwork are also very good.
Finished in a two tone of beige over brown with matching high quality brown leather interior, the coachwork was originally completed in period by the renowned and highly regarded coachbuilder at the time, – Lueg in Bochum, likely to the request of Daimler-Benz. The original “einzelgenehmigung Document” can be found in the cars extensive history file which includes the original picture taken at the firma Lueg.
The total weight of the Kombi is a surprisingly low 1300kg and is able to hold a payload of around 530 kg. A truly remarkable feat for a small Kombi of the 50s.
|Auction||Schloss Dyck August 2016|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Model||170 DA Kombi|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.