Looking much like its TA14 predecessor but featuring independent front suspension and a new, overhead-valve, six-cylinder engine, the 3.0-litre Alvis – type TA21 – was announced in 1950. Styled along classical, pre-war lines, the 3.0-litre was reckoned by Autocar magazine to appeal to “discerning owners who appreciate quality and good handling as well as mere performance;” not that the TA21 was lacking in the latter, comfortable cruising at 70mph and a reported maximum speed of better than 85mph.
Chassis 25328 left Alvis on 29th May 1953 and was delivered to Central Motors Sheffield that same day; guarantee was issued for the car on 30th May 1953. The car was maroon all over, with a fawn hood; the interior trim was maroon. In April 1957 the engine was replaced with engine number 25203, and was again replaced in 1960 with 24744 – all done by the Service Department at Alvis.
The first owner was Chas. Black and Sons Ltd. of Queens Road, Sheffield. In the early 1970s the car was known to the club in the ownership of Brian Conway and Jim Moss, both enthusiasts of the Alvis 3 litre. The car was then purchased by Terry Croft in the late ’70s. The car was last inspected in September 2000 by an Alvis club member, when the Croft family were considering the sale of the car. Now offered publicly for sale for the first time, this wonderful TA21 comes complete with many additional spares. Both body and chassis are reported to be in fair order. An excellent project offered with a sensible reserve.
For further information or to arrange a viewing, please contact our sales department
|Auction||Blenheim Palace July 2015|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||PWJ 70|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.