Announced in May 1946, the Bentley Mark VI featured a strong channel section chassis with independent wishbone/coil spring front suspension and a live, leaf-sprung rear axle. Drum brakes were fitted all-round, with Rolls-Royce’s mechanical servo assistance, the front ones for the first time on a Bentley operated hydraulically. Power was provided by the pre-war B60 4,257cc six cylinder engine – with overhead inlet/side exhaust valves and belt rather than gear-driven dynamo and water pump, both major changes from previous Rolls-Royce practice – sufficient to propel the Bentley, via twin SU carburettors, to 90mph. The only major mechanical change came in May 1951 when engine capacity was increased to 4,566cc together with a change from a by-pass oil filter system to one-using a full-flow layout. The Mark VI was joined by the R-Type with production commencing in 1952.
The factory saloon coachwork was indistinguishable from that of the Bentley Mark VI up to the rear doors, but with the back featuring a one-piece boot lid and a more spacious luggage compartment. In total, 5,201 Bentley Mark VIs were produced, 4,000 with the 4.1 litre engine, and 2,320 R-Types. Production ceased in 1955.
Manufactured in 1953, this R-Type saloon has recently been repatriated into the UK from the warm climate of Georgia in the United States. The car is complete, is said to run and drive well, with a good engine and chassis, and the bodywork is straight. The leather seats has deteriorated though in the heat, and would benefit from a retrim.
Finished in two-tone Grey with a Biscuit hide interior, and offered with EU taxes paid, this lovely Bentley provides the ideal restoration project for the enthusiast.