Original Right Hand Drive - Single Ownership for 60 Years
The Jaguar XK120 made its debut in 1948 and quickly built its reputation as a success in the world of motor racing and rallying, picking up a victory at Silverstone in 1949 as well as several notable runs in some of Italy’s most famous races, not to mention the iconic 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1950. Not surprising considering it assumed the mantle of the fastest production car in the world at the time.
This particular example is in its original Pastel Green and was first registered in 1953; it comes with a rich and colourful history, having reportedly only covered a remarkable 18,000 miles. It was delivered new on the 12th November 1953 to a Newton Abbot Dealer by the name of A C Bulpin & Sons, its first owner was L R Weaver.
A young mechanic at the Garage – a Mr David Harrison – loved the car but could not afford it at the time. Fortunately for Harrison, the car would return to the garage 3 years later, at which point he managed to purchase the XK120; it would then remain within the Harrison family for over 60 years.
Mr David Harrison was a keen racing driver and took the car to compete on numerous race circuits and hill Climbs during the 1960’s. In 1966 he changed the engine from the standard 3.4 litre to a ‘hot’ 3.8 litre Jaguar XK engine with a lightened fly wheel, wide sump, competition clutch, balance crank and polished and ported head. This change resulted in him winning the fastest time of the day at the 1966 Wiscombe Park hill climb.
A lack of garage space led to Mr David Harrison lending his pride and joy to the Totnes Motor Museum and it was not until the late 1970’s that David Harrison had the model removed from the Museum and recommissioned. This decision was the result of much persuasion from his keen son, whose own involvement with this car began in 1961, when he was brought home from hospital in the XK120 as a new born baby.
From this point onwards it would be his son who maintained the family heirloom. Robert Harrison was an Auto Engineer, who maintained the vehicle himself, he also rallied it and took it to shows. When not in use it could be found on display at the World of Country Life Museum, where it stayed in its original condition until early 2017. It is a safe estimate to say this car has spent over half of its life on display in museums.
Re-commissioning work to the vehicle in the 1990’s included a respray in its original pastel green, new wire wheels with stainless spokes and a disc brake conversion installed. The 3.8 litre racing engine it received in 1966 is still present, while the green leather interior has been superbly looked after and has a wonderful original patina.
More recently, in February/March 2017, it was fully re-commissioned. It received new brake callipers, brake pads, various bushes, plus many other new items. In June 2017 this remarkable XK took Part in the XK Owners Club Coastal Tour in aid of Prostate Cancer. It took part in the first stages (Birmingham to Beaulieu to Exeter to Penzance to Bridgwater and finally back to Birmingham) it covered some 900 miles without causing the owner any problems.
The car being offered presents wonderfully in its original colours and showing a recorded mileage of just over 18,000 miles with several MOT’s (25+) to support this. The car comes with original VE60’s, Jaguar Heritage Certificate and an extensive history file of service receipts and bills. This car offers a wonderful opportunity to acquire a very original, UK delivered XK120 with remarkably low mileage and a great prospect for investment.
|Auction||Blenheim Palace July 2017|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||UK registered|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.