Allard produced the P1 and P2 from 1949 to 1954, designed by company founder Sydney Allard as five-seat saloons with two doors. The P1 is underpinned by a box section chassis with an enclosed body very much of its time, being a transition from the traditional style of the pre-war years to the fully rounded forms of the 1950s and 1960s. As such it combines a low, streamlined radiator and contemporary cabin with separate front wings. The front suspension is independent and was developed by racing car designer Leslie Bellamy. Ingeniously it consists of a standard Ford beam axle cut in half and used to form lower arms with the transverse leaf spring acting as the upper arm, movement being controlled by long radius arms. The rear suspension is provided through a conventional Ford live axle with a transverse leaf spring, mounted using a torque tube. Brakes are hydraulically operated and consist of drums all round. The Allard P1 was fitted with the Ford flat head V-8 as standard but the Competition model has the Mercury V-8. The 1953 model year saw the introduction of the Allard P2, which remained current until 1954. It was produced as a 2-door saloon, the “Monte Carlo” and a wood sided shooting brake, the “Safari.” The P2 updated the looks with all enveloping bodywork, a more up-to-date radiator inlet and by losing the anachronistic opening windscreen. Under the skin the handling was improved by the adoption of a de Dion rear axle and coil springs all round.
The company built only ten P2 Safari station wagons, with this being one of only four remaining.. Chassis number ‘4009’ was sold by Tom Lush to two elderly sisters in Birmingham whose prime concern was that there should be sufficient room in the back for a sheep or goat. Anecdotally, ownership moved on via a lady near Shrewsbury in 1958 to a Lawrence Keating of Manchester around 1973, from whom the car was acquired in 1988.
The P2 has enjoyed an older ‘chassis up’ restoration by the Tamar Valley Motoring Centre, the engine and gearbox being rebuilt by Wally Wheatley of Nordian Garages, considered at the time to be an authority on ‘flat head’ Ford engines, while the woodwork was painstakingly restored by a highly talented retired schoolmaster. The brown Connolly hide was also restored and we understand is in lovely condition, with a most attractive patina. More recently the bodywork has enjoyed a refresh which included the renewal of woodwork where required. New radial tyres have also more recently been fitted, as have rear shock absorbers, both contributing to an immensely improved ride. Since restoration the P2 has taken part in many events such as the 40th Anniversary Sydney Allard Monte Carlo Rally, the Randonnée de Trios Vallées and several other classic events in the UK and abroad. The car has benefitted from an engine rebuild with a reground crank and replacement main and big end bearings.
Supplied with an extensive restoration and maintenance file, original correspondence with Tom Lush, old-style logbook and current V5, this is a truly lovely example of a very special and well known car.