With the introduction of the ‘2+2’ DB2/4 in October 1953, Aston Martin extended the DB2’s appeal to the hitherto untapped yet increasingly important market comprised of ‘sports car enthusiasts with a family’. Modifications to the rear of the chassis plus a reduction in fuel tank capacity from 19 to 17 gallons liberated sufficient space within the existing design for two child-sized occasional rear seats. Alternatively, the rear seat backs could be folded down, thus creating a load-carrying platform that more than doubled the luggage space. The latter could be accessed via the 2/4’s opening rear door, a pioneering example of the now commonplace ‘hatchback’ concept.
‘This transformation gives the Aston Martin DB2/4 an unrivalled luggage-carrying capacity in a car which should be capable in favourable circumstances of achieving two miles a minute,’ reported The Motor. ‘The DB2/4 can truthfully claim to be the fastest car in the world capable of carrying two people with a month’s luggage.’
Standard specification included the 2.6-litre ‘VB6E’ engine in 125bhp Vantage tune, but from early in 1954 the 3.0-litre 140bhp ‘VB6J’ engine was installed. Equipped with latter, the DB2/4 was one of the fastest cars then built in Great Britain – with 100mph achievable in third gear and around 120mph maximum – possessing impeccable handling plus a level of comfort rare in any high-performance car.
This wonderful example was first registered on the 26th May 1954, finished in Sea Green with a Black leather interior. The Aston spent much of its earlier life in Sussex, before being bought by a Mr. Tidy in 1970, keeping the DB2/4 until the early 80s. Mr. Tidy commissioned a significant restoration of the car, well documented and with very interesting correspondence between Mr. Tidy and various suppliers,
By the late 1980s the Aston passed via a London dealer into the ownership of Philip Gould, a founding member and drummer for the 80s pop band Level 42. Further restoration work was commissioned to well respected restorer Andrew Thorogood, who presented Mr. Gould with bills in the region of £17,000 for his efforts, which consisted of a full engine rebuild, and reconditioning of the brakes, suspension, replacement of the wiring, amongst sundry other items.
Mr. Gould kept his Aston for around 10 years before passing custodianship to the current owner in 1997. The current vendor has owned this lovely Aston for now almost 20 years, during which time plenty of love and care has been lavished on the car. From 2008 to 2015 a large restoration was undertaken to the bodywork, now finished in a stunning shade of British Racing Green. The lovely patina of the interior was such that it was wisely advised by specialists and fellow Aston owners to leave as is rather than replace. The engine was rebuilt by leading Aston Martin specialist Davron, the carburettors have also been rebuilt, as have the front suspension and steering. The brakes have been relined and fitted with Alfin drums, and as a nod to practicality an alloy radiator and electric fan were fitted. We are pleased to note that a custom made twin stainless steel exhaust has been fitted. The result of these extensive efforts? The DB2/4 was placed third in class in this year’s Aston Martin concours at Duxford, and according to our vendor is simply “a joy to drive”
Supplied with a thick file of invoices for maintenance, repair and restoration work dating back to the 1960s, a photographic record of the restoration work, many older bills and correspondence, and offered with a UK V5, what a wonderful way enjoy classic Aston Martin motoring.