In the 1950s the Lancia Aurelia was hailed as a revolutionary combination of luxury and performance. The B20 GT two-passenger coupé was introduced in 1951, mechanically the same as the B10 model, but with a more powerful 2-litre engine. The car bristled with innovation: the first V6 production engine, a rear mounted transaxle, inboard rear brakes, and a monocoque body.
It achieved major successes in competition worldwide, starting with a second place in the 1951 Mille Miglia in virtually standard form. The model went on to be developed over almost eight years and six distinct Series, and was bought by wealthy, discreet Italians (Lancias were expensive cars in their day). Today it is increasingly sought-after as perhaps the 1950s GT.
At the rear was an innovative combination transaxle with the gearbox, clutch, differential, and inboard-mounted drum brakes. The front suspension was a sliding pillar design, with rear semi-trailing arms replaced by a de Dion tube in the 4th series. The Aurelia was also one of the first cars to be fitted with radial tyres. The 4th Series cars are generally considered as the ultimate Aurelias. With the more powerful 2,451cc V6 motor, they are eligible for many major rallies and events worldwide.
Rolling off the Lancia production line on 5th March 1954, this very early Series 4 Aurelia is one of the first seven manufactured. The earlier history of 2956 is not known, but interestingly chassis numbers 2955 and 2957 went on to become promotional show cars for Lancia.
A long term Lancia enthusiast, the current owner bought 2956 in the early 1970s from its only previous UK owner. During his ownership, the engine has been rebuilt by renowned expert Peter Harding; the gearbox rebuilt with a new clutch; the propshaft rebuilt; the brakes relined; and new brake seals fitted. The petrol tank has been resealed, and the radiator core has been replaced. The bodywork was painted red when fashionable in period, and has since been repainted back to its original shade of Lancia blue. New sills have been fitted, and rechroming completed. The interior has been treated to a new headlining, and the seats have been recovered. The original (and very rare) Autovox radio is also supplied with the car.
Lancias of this era are unsurpassed in terms of the quality of engineering and driving experience. This is a well sorted Aurelia GT which can be used and enjoyed right away, or form the basis for light renovation.
For further information or to arrange a viewing, please contact our sales department.