The Mercedes-Benz 170 S was produced from 1949 until 1955 in various petrol and diesel powered forms. It initially appeared with a 1.8 litre version of the 1.7 litre inline-four cylinder engine used in the slightly smaller production type 170 V. It was the first Mercedes-Benz to carry in its name the suffix “S” (for Sonder modell (Special model) denoting a superior level of comfort and quality. As such, it was targeted firmly at successful business owners and company directors.
January 1952 also saw the launch of a diesel powered version of the 170 S, sold as the Mercedes-Benz 170 DS. In 1952 diesel powered passenger cars were still very much a novelty even in Germany, but no doubt both cost conscious company directors and upmarket taxi operators appreciated the 25% improvement in fuel consumption using a fuel which, on account of the tax rates applied, was already provided at a relatively “friendly” price in Germany.
Manufactured in 1954, this rare right hand drive example has been in the ownership of the vendor since 1998. The car shows a nice patina and has been kept in ‘running order’. New side lights and indicator lights have been added at some point whilst the dynamo has been replaced with an alternator and the heater plug circuit has been repaired.
The car was serviced and the cylinder head gasket replaced in July of this year by Jones & Alcock in Stafford. The car will come with a copy of the workshop manual and a UK V5 along with an MoT certificate valid until August 2016. Finished in black with a tan interior it is rare to find a 170SD in this condition, let alone right drive. Offered at No Reserve this car represents a fantastic opportunity.