Following World War II, Donald Healey struck out on his own and from his base in Warwick, UK, began building very high-quality sporting cars using Riley running gear. There were roadsters, dropheads and coupes. These were cars that an upper middle-class owner could drive to work and rally or race on the weekends. But they weren’t cheap. Next came the Nash-Healey sports car. But despite modestly priced-running gear from the American independent manufacturer, the chassis, suspension and coachwork still resulted in a car that cost more than $4,000.
Healey was well aware that he needed a car that could be built in larger numbers and sold at a lower price in the rapidly emerging sports car market in the new world. MG and Jaguar were selling the bulk of their production to North America and Triumph was readying the TR2. Using the four-cylinder 2.6 litre Austin A-90 engine and transmission, as well as other components from the parts bin of newly-formed BMC (a merger of the Austin and Nuffield/Morris companies), Healey produced a sleek and beautiful prototype styled by Gerry Coker. Healey showed his “Healey Hundred” at the 1952 Earls Court Motor Show in the UK and caught the eye of BMC supreme Leonard Lord.
Healey’s timing was perfect. Lord selected his car over a new MG prototype, thus delaying the replacement of the old-fashioned MG TD, which was also in the BMC family. When it went on sale in 1953, the beautiful Austin-Healey 100 cost less than $3,000 in the United States and would top 100mph. Those first cars, designated BN1, used the 90bhp Austin engine, a three-speed transmission with overdrive and were happily received in the United States, which took most of the 10,688 cars produced.
The M specification included a louvered bonnet and leather strap, a cold air box, larger 1 ¾” carburettors, higher profile camshaft, stronger valve springs, steel-faced competition head gasket, larger anti-roll bar, front disc brakes and a free-flow exhaust manifold which gave higher compression using special pistons. A special distributor was also used, improving the advance curve, and when combined with all the other upgrades boosted the standard cars performance from 90 to 110bhp, which took top speed to nearly 120mph.
This wonderfully presented Healey arrived in St. Louis Cosmopolitan Motors in late 1955 and was purchased by a prominent St. Louis insurance man, Lester Seasongood. He sold the car to the editor of the St. Louis Post, Jim Lawrence who campaigned the car for a couple of seasons. Subsequently the car passed to Phil Larson in 1968. The car was finally imported back to the UK in 2001 and in 2003 an extensive restoration was undertaken by the then owner, Mark Barnes.
The current vendor purchased this exceptional matching numbers Healey two years ago. The car is finished in Old English White over Lobelia Blue, one of just 108 cars finished in this colour scheme, and is also fitted with both a heater and laminated windscreen. This Healey has been fitted with lightened and balanced Denis Welch flywheel, which significantly improves throttle response and tick over. The car is quick and agile, and with a fantastic exhaust note. All the elements of the drivetrain have been recently restored including new U/J’s, competition clutch and thrust bearing, with the car covering only a handful of miles since. It also received at the same time a service plus engine and gearbox detailing. The car has also been fitted with lightweight Dynolite alternator.
This stunning car in excellent condition qualifies for historic car rallies and has been fully prepped for the Mille and fitted with the necessary upgrades. Most recently the current vendor completed the 2017 GP Nuvolari without any faults. Complete with UK V5C registration this Healey is ready to be campaigned on the Historic circuit or driven enthusiastically down country lanes.
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||UK Registered|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.