The Hooper bodied Series 1 was a sensation at the 1956 Earls Court Motor Show, with Autocar describing it “attractive” with a “superlative finish”. They were impressed by the detailed Australian Bee’s Wing eucalyptus wood trim of the interior which was “used to great effect”.
The car carries a distinctive, dramatically flowing aluminium body by Hooper, which is more than 80 lbs lighter than the standard steel saloon. It has cut-away spats over the rear wheels and the rare eucalyptus wood is found on the dashboard, door tops, map tray and rear picnic tables. The interior seating and door trims are in leather. Only 4 Bentley S1 cars were built with this coachwork.
Mrs. Janet White of Felixstowe ordered this wonderful example which was despatched from the works just before the Christmas of 1955. The Hooper was later owned and exported to Seattle in the U.S. by Robert and Rita Irwin, who went on to own the car for 37 years. Following a sale by Gooding and Company in 2008, the Bentley was repatriated into the UK, later travelling to France and joining a private collection in Clarbec. Chassis B460AN was kept in the collection before it was sold in late 2012, returning once more to the UK.
Finished in Alpine Mist with a Parchment leather interior, and offered with a thick file of supporting documentation over a long period, this is a wonderfully stylish motor has recently enjoyed light restoration works and is ready to be enjoyed by its next custodian.