One of the all-time great sports cars, the 356 was the work of Ferry Porsche and based on the Volkswagen designed by his father. Like the immortal ‘Beetle’, the 356 employed a platform-type chassis with rear-mounted air-cooled engine and all-independent torsion bar suspension. In 1951 a works car finished first in the 1,100cc class at the Le Mans 24-Hour Race, thus beginning the marque’s long and illustrious association with Le Sarthe.
The first phase of development saw the 356’s engine grow to 1.3 litres and then to 1.5 litres; the original split windscreen replaced by a one-piece; and a Porsche synchromesh gearbox adopted. 1955 marked the arrival of the restyled 356A, the newcomer being readily distinguished by its rounded windscreen and 15″ – down from 16″ – wheels.
This matching numbers example is fitted with its original factory 1500 engine. Last year in the Netherlands the 356 was treated to a very high-quality restoration which has been documented with bills and receipts of the work carried out. Originally delivered in Europe to Firma Hahn of Stuttgart, Germany in its original specification of 5410 B Adriatic blue metallic with blue leather interior.
Offered with Dutch registration papers and a full history file documenting the restoration this wonderful example is not just excellently presented but also ready to be used by a new custodian.
|Auction||Techno Classica Essen 2018|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||EU Registered|
|Model||356 Pre A Coupe|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.