Alfa Romeo’s first all-new offering of the post-war period arrived in 1950. Designed by Dr Orazio Satta Puliga and intended for volume production, the 1900 was the first Alfa to employ unitary construction. In keeping with the company’s sporting heritage it was powered by a twin-overhead-camshaft engine. It should have surprised nobody therefore, when the 1900’s potential was realised in the form of two high performance derivatives.
Launched in 1951, the 1900C Sprint was a short wheelbased version of the 1900 range and featured bodywork by Pininfarina (cabriolet) and Touring (coupé), both models utilising the 100bhp engine of the 1900TI sports saloon. The Touring-bodied Sprint Coupé attracted such public acclaim that it was subsequently adopted as the basis for all future ‘aerodynamic’ Alfa Romeo coupés.
The Sprint Coupé was designed to offer sporting performance together with ‘2+2’ accommodation – guaranteed to appeal to the sports car enthusiast with a family – while the heart-shaped vertical grille with matched horizontal side intakes, became an Alfa trademark on later models. In June 1954 the engine was enlarged to 1,975cc and the model re-designated as the ‘Super Sprint’.
Boasting 115bhp, double carburettors, a 5-speed manual gearbox and an excellent power-to-weight ratio courtesy of the aluminium-alloy body. This heady combination of increased power and reduced weight allowed for a top speed of nearly 200km/. With such snappy performance on tap the Super Sprint excelled in many motorsport competitions. In total only 854 Super Sprints were produced making it a rare car.
The 1900C SS offered for sale here was sold new in Switzerland and first registered on the 12th of August in 1956. The first owner was a Mr John Zoni and the car was originally delivered in the same dark Grey colour that it is painted in today. The car stayed in Switzerland with its next two owners, being sold to Mr Pescio and then to Mr Jean Daniel Perrinjaquet in 1989. At this time the car was repainted in red with a black roof. The car was then sold to Mr Ennio Gianaroli in Belgium. More recently the car was sold by Oldtimer Farm in Belgium, after which time it was subject to a thorough restoration and was repainted in the original Grey colour with a contrasting red roof. Since then it has been in the ownership of a French Alfa Romeo collector who has travelled a mere 5,000km in the car.
With extensive history, matching numbers and described by the vendor as being in excellent condition, this is a beautiful and rare Alfa Romeo that would comfortably grace even the finest of car collections.
|Auction||Schloss Dyck August 2016|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||EU Registered|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.