As the first Lancia to be completely produced post-war, the Aurelia needed to be something brand new. And it certainly was, beginning with the gorgeously engineered B10 and ending with the stylishly sophisticated B24 Convertible.
The most stunning aspect of the new Lancia was the inclusion of the first production V-6 engine. Cosmetically, the B10 was beautiful. Its Pinin Farina-built body featured coach doors without a central pillar, and they opened to reveal a roomy interior. The B10 was followed closely by the larger-engined B21 and B20 GT Coupé, both of which featured a shortened wheelbase.
Lancia engineers were constantly improving the Aurelia, with a new iteration released nearly every year and constant improvements occurring over the subsequent models. The B22 Saloon was released with a larger 2.5-litre engine and dual Weber carburettors. The fourth series was introduced in 1954 and the Aurelia was wholly redesigned at this time, with the first open-topped model now available.
The fourth series shortened the wheelbase a further 20 centimetres from the GT and included the new De Dion tube suspension. For the first time, left-hand drive was made available, and these cars were marked by an “S”, for “Sinistra” (left).
The Spider America was further improved upon during production, resulting in the B24 Convertible. The convertible is largely considered to be more elegant and all-around more practical, as it can be driven in foul weather.
By replacing the panoramic windscreen with roll-down windows and opening the front quarter lights, a durable soft-top could be added. A one-piece chrome bumper replaced the split-bumper, and the convertible was given larger doors with handles. Only 521 of the Aurelia B24 Convertibles were made, and they remain a fiercely desired car today.
The wonderful example of Lancia’s Aurelia B24S Convertible on offer today has to be arguably one of the fines available worldwide- both in terms of condition and provenance. With the chassis number B24S 1188, engine number B24S 1310, axle number B24S76 and the transmission number B24S96, this car is all matching numbers. It is presented in its original colour scheme of Lancia Gold Metallic. Most interestingly only four Lancia B24S Convertible were made in this rare and sort after colour. The interior within the car is its original, unrestored and conserving the patina of time – it can only be described as fantastic.
This car was from new in the hands of one important Italian family in Milan, who owned the car until the end of the 2015. The body was restored during the 90s to a very high standard. Most recently it has undergone another routine service to insure it runs and drives as it should. The car is supplied with its FIVA passport, this is an exquisite example of one of Lancia’s most sporting and exciting offerings.