By the time Le Mans came around the design of what would be known as the MGA had effectively been finalised, the race itself being little more than a useful opportunity to check that everything was as it should be. Conceived as replacement for the traditional T-Series MGs, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1,489cc B-Series engine that had first appeared in the ZA Magnette. Initially this engine produced 68bhp at 5,500rpm, though this was later raised to 72bhp at the same revs to further improve performance. Running gear was based on that of the TF, with independent front suspension and a live rear axle, but as far as its road manners were concerned, the far superior MGA was in an entirely different league. Clad in a stylish aerodynamic body and capable of topping 95mph, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling 13,000 units in its first full year of production.
Attractive, stylish and guaranteed head-turner anywhere, the MGA is among the most desirable and driveable of classic post-war sports cars. They are also exceptionally user friendly, being cheap to run and easily maintained by the home mechanic, with ample spares and service back-up provided by an extensive network of specialists.
Delivered new on Valentine ’s Day 1956, this 1500 Roadster has been owned by the current vendor for the last 10 years, this MGA roadster has been regularly maintained, providing its owners with enjoyable trouble-free motoring that has included trips to MG rallies in both the UK and Europe.
It was the subject of a thorough restoration completed in 2000. An extremely detailed full photographic record accompanies the car, as does weather equipment including a tonneau and hood. Finished in red over black, this delightful UK delivered car would make a wonderful addition to any collection. Offered with UK V5 documentation, a Heritage trust certificate and a host of bills and receipts.