This car was originally sold through Byatt of Fenton Ltd, Stoke-on-Trent, and its accompanying Heritage Certificate shows that it left the factory on 3rd May 1957. The Jaguar has undergone a thorough restoration with wings and doors being removed. Any panel work that needed replacing was refinished, including new inner and outer sills and rear valance. The brightwork has been re-chromed and the wheels blasted and painted. The chassis is in excellent condition and it has been fitted during restoration with new ball joints, shock absorbers, brake pipes and master cylinder. The front brakes have been converted to discs and the final drive has been raised to 3.54:1. Inside the red leather interior is original and in very good condition with a lovely patina, including the wood trim which has been replaced where necessary. The headlining is also largely original but has been replaced in the area around the sunroof which also functions perfectly.
The engine has been replaced by a fully rebuilt 4.2-litre unit from Jaguar specialists BR Motors. This has had new pistons, timing chain, oil pump and valves, as well as a crank grind and full balancing. The car has also been fitted with a new radiator, electric fan, alternator, starter, oil cooler, electronic ignition, hoses and fuel pumps. The exhaust is stainless steel. The automatic gearbox has been fully re-conditioned by Graham Whitehouse at a cost of £2,716.
Since completion the car has covered c. 2,000 miles – with all the hard and expensive work done, this car represents a perfect way to buy into a superb piece of ‘50s cool for a fraction of the cost of restoring it yourself.
Offered at No Reserve on 18th May 2019 at Chiswick House.