“The Jaguar XK150 is undeniably one of the world’s fastest and safest cars. It is quiet and exceptionally refined mechanically, docile and comfortable… we do not know of any more outstanding example of value for money.” -The Autocar
What would turn out to be the final glorious incarnation of Jaguar’s fabulous ‘XK’ series of sports cars arrived in 1957.
As its nomenclature suggests, the XK150 was a progressive development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-liter engine and 4-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen, replacing the XK140’s divided screen.
Cleverly, the new body used many XK120/140 pressings, the increased width being achieved by means of a 4”-wide central fillet. A higher front wing line and broader radiator grille were other obvious differences, but the new model’s main talking point was its Dunlop disc brakes. Fade following repeated stops from high speed had been a problem of the earlier, drum-braked cars, but now the XK had stopping power to match its prodigious straight-line speed.
Introduced in the spring of 1957, the XK150 was available at first only in fixed and drop head coupe forms, the open Roadster version not appearing until the following year. At 210bhp, the standard 3.4-liter engine’s maximum power output was identical to that of the XK140, so performance was little changed. Overdrive and a Borg-Warner automatic gearbox were the transmission options, the latter becoming an increasingly popular choice, while a Thornton Power-Lok limited-slip differential was available for the XK150S.
This delightful XK150 was supplied by JRJ Mansbridge of Lincoln in November 1957 with the registration LVL 449 in right hand drive. The Jaguar was purchased by a Mr FJ Boer in 1988 and exported to Holland where commencing in 1988 the vehicle was subject to a total chassis up restoration costing in excess of 70,000 euros by Calley Cars BV (Vicarage) of Elburg Holland. No expense was spared in completing the vehicle in imperial maroon with a new tan leather interior, complemented with new chrome wire wheels and a Bell stainless steel exhaust exhaust system. The XK was converted from right hand drive to left hand drive for use in Holland
A new ZF automatic transmission was fitted and the original unit has been retained. The Jaguar was purchased by its current owner in Amsterdam in July 2014 and at this point four new radial tyres were fitted and the car was allocated its original registration plate upon arrival to the UK in fact DVLA were never informed the vehicle had left the UK.
A new Alloy fuel tank and service were carried out by Twyford Moors Classic Cars Ltd in October 2014 and the Jaguar has only covered around 500 miles since. The XK has its original buff log book and Jaguar Heritage certificate. There is an extensive folder with invoices and photographs of the vehicle.
|Auction||The Spirit of Motoring Ascot October 2016|
|Day of Auction||N/A|
|Registration Number||UK Registered|
Call Coys Auction Dept for more info or use the enquiry form below.